25 March 2009

Fleur de Lis Project

I like tattoos. I have a growing assortment of tattoos. And all most of my tattoos have something to do with my Cajun culture or my beloved state of Louisiana. I even have a fleur de lis tattoo (not the one above -the one above is a lot fancier than mine.) And I am just one of many Louisianians that have a fleur de lis permently inked into their skin.

There has been a large increase in fleur de lis tattoo since Hurricane Katrina. I find this outward sign of pride of place and pride of culture super interesting. So I started photographing fleur de lis tattoos. I want to photograph as many as I can in the coming year. I am planing to have gatherings in Lafayette, New Orleans & Lake Charles, invite everyone with a fleur de lis tattoo and shoot, shoot, shoot. While also collecting the stories behind the art. I also want to talk to the tattoo artists of South Louisiana and hear what they have to say abou the rise of fleur de lis tattoos. And in a perfect world I would exhibit the photos next September - 5th year anniversary of Katrina. But we'll see.

So if you have a fleur de lis tattoo - I want to shoot it. And if you don't -don't be such a square man......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Im looking for a Fluer de lis right now and i love yours! Good work!

Kelly Jo said...

Just looking around for an idea for my own Fleur de lis. Love your blog and I'm now a follower! I am a New Orleans Baby and love your photography. Man I miss home!

Dee said...

I have a fluer de lis tattoo on my back with my son's name! Man...I miss home too! Lol...